It’s been a while!
- “World of the Heart – Main Title” – Randy Edelman, Dragonheart soundtrack
- “Four Horsemen” – Junichi Nakatsuru, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
- “The Temple of Artemis” – Rick Wakeman, The Seven Wonders of the World
- “Chase the Clouds Away” – Chuck Mangione, Chase the Clouds Away
- “Thunder in Paradise” – Pablo Cruise, Thunder in Paradise soundtrack*
- “The Packing Horse” – Djam Karet, Recollection Harvest
- “Homecoming” – Yellowjackets, Samurai Samba
- “Unfamiliar Wind” – Brian Eno, Ambient 4 – On Land
- “Mariachi Funeral” – Roger Eno, Lost in Translation
- “Singularity” – Gordian Knot, Gordian Knot
*How’d that get in there??
Enjoy your weekend!
For the sixth time in recent days we set a record for St. Louis for the highest daily low temperature on record. We haven’t set any actual record high temperatures, but because it hasn’t cooled down as much at night, our mean temperature for July has been the fourth highest on record. Yuck.
For the eighth time this season, I nailed the daily Twins radio trivia question, with the last five giving me chances at a drawing for tickets to the September 26th Twins/Royals game at Target Field. Q: Bert Blyleven was traded away from the Twins, and later was again reacquired by the Twins; which Twins player did this happen to before Blyleven? A: Roy Smalley
WMP decided I needed to start out with a couple tracks by the Eno brothers — who am I to argue?
- “Voices” – Roger Eno, Voices
- “An Ending (Ascent)” – Brian Eno, Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
- “The Journey/Recollection” – Rick Wakeman, Journey to the Centre of the Earth
- “Knife Edge” – Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
- “Ancestors” – Lisa Gerrard, Whale Rider soundtrack
- “Schwarze Augen” – Klaus Doldinger, Das Boot (The Director’s Cut) soundtrack
- “Sonatine III – Be Over” – Joe Hisaishi, Sonatine
- “Let Your Hair Hang Down” – They Might Be Giants, Join Us
- “Show Me Mary” – Catherine Wheel, Chrome
- “Vishnu” – E.S. Posthumus, Makara
Stay cool this weekend!
Posted in Random 10
Tagged Brian Eno, Catherine Wheel, E.S. Posthumus, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Joe Hisaishi, Klaus Doldinger, Lisa Gerrard, Rick Wakeman, Roger Eno, They Might Be Giants, Twins daily trivia answer
In honor of the Royal Wedding, an All-Brit random list today.
- “Time and a Word” – Yes, Time and a Word
- “A Moment Lost” – Enya, Amarantine
- “The Domes of G’bal” – Ozric Tentacles, Live at the Pongmaster’s Ball
- “How the Years Turn” – Roger Eno, Music of Neglected English Composers
- “Johnny on the Monorail” – The Buggles, The Age of Plastic
- “Black Cat” – Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste
- “Blown by the Wind” – Alan Parsons, On Air
- “Nine Cats” – Porcupine Tree, Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-1997
- “Message in a Bottle” – The Police, Every Breath You Take: The Singles
- “Clarinet Concerto, Op. 31” – Gerald Finzi, Clarinet Concerti
Here’s to the happy couple! Yeah, whatever.
We shovelled out of 10″+ snow from Wednesday night, and now I’m enjoying the wintery view this morning out my office window while listening to:
- “White Rock“, Rick Wakeman, White Rock soundtrack
- “Three Friends“, Gentle Giant, Three Friends
- “Little Hans“, Eric Woolfson, Freudiana soundtrack
- “Big Rumble”, Bruce Hornsby, Hot House
- “Hosea & Gomer”, Ron Miles, My Cruel Heart
- “It Turned Out Nice Again”, Roger Eno, The Long Walk
- “The Happiest Days of Our Lives”, Pink Floyd, Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
- “The Man’s Too Strong“, Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms
- “All Around the World“, Paul Simon, Graceland
- “Rock and Roll Dream”, Asia, Astra
Good luck with any shovelling you have to do — lift with your legs!
On a whim, I set WMP to randomly play only songs from the year 2000; let’s see how this filter works out:
- “2116” – Planet X, Universe
- “Voodoodoodoo” – Ensemble Studios, Age of Empires Compilation soundtrack
- “Green Destiny (Love Theme)” – Tan Dun, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack
- “Power of Denial” – Thomas Newman, American Beauty soundtrack
- “Tierra Verde” – Jeff Lorber, The Definitive Collection
- “Headloss” – Caravan, Where But For Caravan Would I?*
- “Gibraltar” – Geoffrey Downes, The World Service
- “Seeing Her Again” – Roger Eno, The Long Walk
- “Quiet Theme (End Titles)” – Richard Marvin, U-571 soundtrack
- “Loser” – 3 Doors Down, The Better Life
*okay, this track is from 1974, but the compilation is from 2000
Well, not bad — even some good soundtrack action. TGIF, everyone!
TGIF! Time for random tracks…
- “Playing Love (Giuseppe Tornatore Suite: The Legend of 1900)” – Ennio Morricone, Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone*
- “De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da” – The Police, Every Step You Take: The Singles
- “Learning to Fly” – Emerson, Lake & Powell, Emerson, Lake & Powell
- “The Golden Age of Steam” – Steve Hackett, Darktown
- “Special Cases” – Djam Karet, Ascension
- “Shamburger” – Stephen Rippy, David Rippy, Kevin McMullan, Age of Empires Compilation Soundtrack
- “Prelude for St. Joan” – Roger Eno, Between Tides
- “Secret Garden” – Alan Parsons Project, Eve
- “An Arc of Doves” – Harold Budd & Brian Eno, AMBIENT 2: The Plateaux of Mirror
- “Dharma Reggae” – Ozric Tentacles, Erpsongs
* I shooped this cover photo and used it for my entry in the 2006 StreamingSoundtracks “Sexiest Man” contest. I obviously never won, but I was pleased not to receive sympathy votes.
Giving the year 1985 a shuffle off the ol’ external HD. CDs were just coming out, and I was in my first year of work, in a far away land (called “Los Angeles”). Let’s see what retro stuff pops up…
- “Gibralter” – Klaus Doldinger, Das Boot (The Director’s Cut)
- “Angela” – Vitamin Z, Rites of Passage
- “Mescalito” – Ozric Tentacles, Tantric Obstacles
- “Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring: Dance of the Young Girls” – Tomita, Live at Linz, 1984, The Mind of the Universe
- “Eye to Eye” – Go West, Go West
- “Grey Promenade” – Roger Eno, Voices
- “World Machine” – Level 42, World Machine
- “Solly’s Beard” – Yes, 9012 Live: The Solos
- “Light of the World” – Alan Parsons Project, Stereotomy
- “Too Late” – Asia, Astra
Okay, flashback is over. You can return to practicing writing “2010” on your checks.
Insect Photo of the Day:
Okay, be careful what you wish for: I have wanted for quite a while to raise young Mantis from an ootheca, and after reading about how much work that is, instead hoped to find one “in the wild” to keep an eye on. Well, imagine our surprise when we took down the harvest wreath from the front door in order to put up the Christmas wreath, and found an ootheca plastered smack dab in the middle of the door! It appears that the Carolina Mantis that I interrupted to get this photo paid me back by finishing the job in the most visible spot it could think of. Well…thanks!
ootheca of a Carolina Mantis (Stagmomantis carolina)
Posted in Random 10
Tagged 1985, Asia, Carolina Mantis, Go West, Klaus Doldinger, Level 42, Ozric Tentacles, Roger Eno, Tomita, Vitamin Z, Yes
It’s that time again…
- “Scratch & Sniff” – Béla Fleck and the Flecktones, Outbound
- “Spanish Gold” – Icehouse, Measure for Measure
- “The Ely Diamond” – Roger Eno, Music of Neglected English Composers
- “Audio Verite” – Echolyn, As the World
- “Tide Me Over Warm ’em Ups” – Age of Empires soundtrack
- “Flanagan’s People” – National Health, Complete
- “White Car” – Yes, Drama
- “Talking Through Pictures” – Marc Jordan, Talking Through Pictures
- “Flying Start” – Mike Oldfield, Islands
- “Die Bunge” – Cluster & Eno, Cluster & Eno
Enjoy your weekend!